A New Dress for A Christmas Carol

Having started a new job and having moved all within the past few months, this dress has been "in progress" for at least 3 months. Sewing, in general, was sort of put on the side back in August. But I'm back in the swing of things, and finally finished Simplicity 2215 last week. I debuted this dress when I went to see the final dress rehearsal of A Christmas Carol at Ford's Theatre (what a fun show - please go see it, DC friends!).


This is another great dress from Cynthia Rowley. She really includes wonderful little details that pay off in a big way. For this dress, the optional fringe down the front, around the neck, and along the bottom of the skirt really added the perfect finishing touch. I spent nearly 3 hours using a pin to pull apart the threads one by one, but it was more than worth it. The fringe adds a punch of fun to this black dress. 

Bodice fringe

Another small but appreciated detail of this pattern was the seemingly random pleating of the skirt. With all of these details and a lined bodice, this is no quick dress to construct (though it never should have taken me 3 months!). But I am really very happy with the end result. I cut my usual alterations to the pattern; I made a size 10 through the shoulders, grading to a 12 at the bust and 14 at the waist.


I also learned that black is very hard to photograph! Many more projects to be posted soon - I recovered my couch this weekend, and got a good start on my Christmas sewing. Seeing A Christmas Carol last week really put me in the holiday mood!



Comments

Popular Posts