September 19, 2011

Before & After

You may remember the skirt I updated that once belonged to my Grandmother.  Well, I recently took on another similar project!  My mom made the following dress nearly 15 years ago.  Unfortunately, it was always just a bit too small for her and has sat practically finished, only needing buttons sewn on it, in the sewing room ever since.  When cleaning out the sewing room a few weeks ago, we dug up this dress, and she offered it to me before throwing it in the trash.

Before

The floral cotton print was too good to pass up!  I took on the challenge of making this dress my own.  I took out the sleeves, cut a massive amount of fabric from the bottom to bring up the length, and adjusted fit by taking in the side seems, and front and back princess seems.

After

The result is a cute, casual summer dress!  I re-faced the armholes with bias tape, and made my own fabric covered buttons.


I am very happy with this dress and feel that I have given it a new life!  Most of the credit for this one goes to my mom, who had truly done the bulk of the work, herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment