C'est Parfait

I'd been holding onto my Parfait pattern, by Colette Patterns, for a while, but I have finally made the dress and it truly is parfait!  I was looking to make it a true sundress, comfy and cutesy for the hot, humid days of summer here in Virginia.  I ended up finding a fun seersucker print at the previously mentioned Komolka fabric store in Vienna, Austria during my summer travels last month.


It was so rewarding to sew a pattern that felt personable and unique and full of "indie" crafting spirit (yes, that's you, Colette Patterns).  Honestly, how great is their product packaging?  On a more technical level the directions were more than easy to understand.  My biggest recommended change?  Sew the pockets to the skirt front BEFORE you sew the skirt to the bodice.  I did this and I can only imagine how much easier it was to handle while sewing.  


There were also some slight fit issues, which seem to be somewhat common.  I cut the bodice in a size 6 (according to finished garment bust measurements) and graded to a size 8 for the waistline fit.  I also took quite a large seem allowance under the arm, and the bodice still seems to be slightly roomy through the armhole opening.  Should I have taken an even larger yet side seem here?  Aside from this minor fit problem under the arms, the fit is great.  The v-neck doesn't gape open, the waistband fits perfect, as does the skirt, and the short length keeps the dress young and casual.  I'm a particular fan of the button-tab shoulder straps and front pockets:


This dress made its debut last week with a trip to the National Gallery of Art.  So I was certainly feeling rather artsy on that day.  I also have the Macaroon pattern waiting for the right fabric to come along.  Having had such great success with Parfait I am especially excited to make a second Colette Patterns dress.

Comments

Popular Posts