A Winter Weekend of Weaving

I visited Mom last weekend for an extended winter weekend of weaving! It was the President's Day holiday weekend, so we had an extra day to get our projects done. And it was a perfect weekend to shut ourselves indoors - more than 10 inches of snow fell earlier that week.


Over the weekend I made a plain-weave wool scarf. The first step is to measure your warp threads and get them onto the loom. Miraculously, my yarns didn't get tangled! There has to be an easier way to warp the loom, so I need to do some more research before I weave again.


Measuring the yarns and warping the loom is the longest part of a weaving project. The actual weaving goes quickly.


It has been a few years since my mom or I have done any weaving, so we had to pause periodically along the way to watch portions of Deborah Chandler's Beginning Four Harness Weaving DVD.


It took me all day Saturday to measure my warp and thread the loom, but I made quick progress when I was back at it on Sunday.


By noon on Sunday I was done and ready to take my project of the loom.


Check out my brand new wool scarf!


I had a great weekend with Mom. It also happened to be Valentine's Day! We made soup, sangria and red velvet cupcakes.


Mom followed a recipe for homemade Olive Garden gnocchi soup and Olive Garden breadsticks. Both turned out fantastic and come highly recommended!


We drank yummy sangria made with a rosé wine, strawberries, raspberries and a dash of cranberry juice. Just imagine all the jokes about getting "warped" that ensued...!


I contributed homemade red velvet cupcakes which were a total FAIL! This recipe from Paula Dean was sadly tasteless and I ended up throwing most of the batch in the trash.

Mom also got a good start on a weaving project of her own during our weaving weekend. Her undertaking is a good deal more complex, and deserves a post of it's own once she finishes it soon. More weaving to come!

Comments

  1. Yum! We never have that much snow, ever. Weaving looks like a great way to pass such a cold weekend, and I love the scarf you made (the soft green is very pretty).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts