Graduation Dress

I did it!  I'm done with school!  I finally finished up grad school and made a dress to wear to the graduation ceremony.  Though I was in cap and gown for most of the day, the new dress was also worn out to dinner with my family later that evening.

The pattern is Butterick 5028, an out-of-print "fast & easy" sleeveless dress.  I purchased the pattern about two years ago, and recently found the perfect fabric to finally make it.  It was definitely "fast & easy," as I made it over a single weekend.  The bodice has waist and bust darts, the back has a faux-wrap and lovely deep v-neck, and a flared dirndl skirt.  The bodice is lined, which always adds extra time and steps, but created a really nice finish in this dress.

Butterick 5028

I found this great floral faux-linen fabric at Joann's, and paired it with a vintage navy-blue belt that used to belong to my grandmother.  The awesome green beaded ring, which I recently purchased on my trip to NYC, came from the fabulous Museum of Arts & Design.

Butterick 5028

The only trouble I had with this pattern was the bodice, which ran a bit big.  As usual, I made a 10 through the shoulders and armholes, and graded to a 12 through the bust and waist.  The shoulders still turned out to be large and the straps fell off my shoulders all day, and the faux-wrap in the back was really gaping open a lot, showing the lower band of my bra.  These are both simple fixes; I tacked down the mock wrap in a few spots at the back, and, before wearing this dress again, I will add a thread-chain and snap at the top of the shoulder seams to loop my bra strap through in order to keep the straps in place.

Butterick 5028

I enjoyed making this simple dress - the outcome is a truly perfect summer dress that will get a lot of wear in the coming hot summer months here in DC.  It was a nice graduation ceremony and I felt special in my new dress.  Watch out world - here I come!

Comments

  1. congrats on graduating!!! and such a nice dress to boot!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts