Birthstone Birthday Afghan


I enjoy making lacy crocheted afghans, even more so when they are simple and repetitive enough to do while watching TV (American Idol, why must you take up SO MUCH of my life?).  I'm not really into fancy color changing, or stitching hundreds of motif pieces.  I like to crochet continuously, resulting in a lovely finished afghan that is ready for use.  I recently came across the Leisure Arts booklet Birthsone Afghans, a full book of twelve single-color, non-pieced, crochet afghans.  Bingo!  This is just what I needed.

I promptly began working on the "March"afghan as a birthday gift for my sister who recently went away to her first year at college.  She isn't born in March (October, actually), but I loved the design of this afghan and stitched it in a light aquamarine color to match her bed set.  I used Caron One Pound (well, actually nearly four pounds!) for this project.  It is definitely a big blanket, but really was great for working on while in front of the television.  I'm very happy with the final product, I absolutely adore the picot edging, it was the perfect finishing touch.


I don't make afghans often, this is only my second, as they definitely require quite a large time commitment to complete.  But I love making something warm, soft, and beautiful, that will hopefully last a lifetime.  This afghan is definitely one such heirloom piece.  Happy birthday, sis!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts