'Opening Night' Dress


I recently did some work with a theater group performing at this year's Capital Fringe Festival in Washington, DC, so, of course, I needed a dress to wear to the show's opening night, but also a dress that would work for the 90+ degree weather.  On opening day, however, I think the weather actually reached 100+, yikes!  This Cynthia Rowley dress (Simplicity 2443) seemed the perfect fit.  In fact, I had made the dress only months before for a friend, so I was already a big fan of the dress pattern and familiar with its construction.

Being familiar with the construction helped me out hugely in several ways.  Most notably the multitude of opposing curves (sewn when attaching the band to the bodice) became easier and went together a lot smoother this time around.  This was also the first time I had come across the side pocket / invisible side zipper combination.  It was a bit tricky, but really just requires sticking to the directions as given though it may seem a bit backwards and convoluted at the time.  Pockets, for me, at least, are worth the trouble.



I used a basic knit for the bodice and a cotton print for the skirt.  The skirt fabric came from my stash (yay!), bought years ago out of pure love for the print with no specific project in mind.  It's a good feeling to de-stash, no?

Opening night went off without a hitch, and it was great fun to wear this dress out and about.

Comments

Popular Posts